Get ready… #SPANC24 location revealed
Entry for #SPANC24 awards now open!
Your chance to win: SPA Regional Awards open for entries
It’s that time of the year again! The SPA is ready to kickstart this year’s regional awards.
Every year, student journalists and publications from across the country enter their best work into our regional awards, going up against their closest neighbours to take home a prize.
The awards are held for each of the SPA’s eight regions: London, the North, the Midlands, the South East, the South West, Ireland & Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
The awards are a great opportunity to warm up for our national awards at SPANC24, which we have just announced will be held in Bristol from April 12th - 14th, 2024, which we have just announced will be held in Bristol from April 12th - 14th, 2024.
This year, we are accepting entries across six exciting categories. Find out more on those below, plus how to enter.
And stay tuned for more announcements soon on how our regional awards ceremonies will be held.
We are so excited to launch this year's regional awards! Keep any eye out for some exciting regional focused events in your area. We can’t wait to read all your submissions and celebrate the amazing work you do across the UK and Ireland!
Regional awards are a brilliant opportunity to showcase your publication’s hard work but also a chance to remind yourself of how far you’ve come - whether you’re submitting your first article or your 50th make sure you show off your best work!
At a time of growth for the SPA, particularly in Ireland and Northern Ireland, the regionals are a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the incredible work produced by our talented members in the region ahead of SPANC24.
Don’t let all the hard work that goes into Wales’ student publications go unrecognised – let the SPA’s regional awards showcase your amazing work! I can’t wait to see the talent and dedication of Wales’ student journalists take centre stage.
Our regional, student-led, publications have become a fantastic platform for budding journalists to hone their skills and get their foot in the industry. What we do in regional publications has a huge impact. I urge you to enter to be considered for recognitions you thoroughly deserve.
The small print
- The deadline for entries is 11:59pm on January 14, 2024. Any work submitted after this time will not be accepted.
- Entrants must be students during the current academic year (2023/24) or have graduated last academic year (2022/23).
- All work submitted must have been published in an SPA member publication between January 14, 2023 and January 14, 2024. Unfortunately we cannot accept submissions published in publications which are not SPA members as we cannot ensure this work is fully student-led. Apply to become a member here.
- The maximum number of entries per category is as follows:
- Two per publication for: Best Digital
- One per publication for: Best Publication, Best Newcomer Publication
- Two per nominated individual for: Best Article
- One per nominated individual for: Outstanding Commitment, Best Journalist
- In the event that more than the maximum number of entries is received, the SPA will endeavour to query with the publication's editor (for publication entries) or the individual journalist (for individual entries), but reserves the right to accept only the most recent entry received.
- Any work that is entered may be used by the SPA for promotional purposes.
- The decisions of shortlisters and judges are final.